The prosecutor’s office of the Netherlands during the consideration of the case of the crash of flight MH17 rejects the version of the Russian Federation that the missile was allegedly launched from the area of the village of Zaroschenske, which in July 2014 was controlled by the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
This was stated at the hearing by Prosecutor Ward Ferdinandusse.
According to the website NU.nl, the prosecution believes that only the Buk installation could have shot down the plane at an altitude of more than 10 km in this area. Thus the version about an attack by the military plane is excluded.
“The prosecutor’s office believes that the air attack could not have led to the MH17 crash. Primary radar data did not record the presence of other aircraft in the airspace at the time of the crash,” the prosecutor said.
During the investigation, it was established that the missile could most likely have been launched from the area of the village of Pervomaiske, but other alternative locations are being considered.
Ferdinandusse noted that the Russian side insists that the launch was made from the area of the village of Zaroschenske (near Amvrosiyivka), which was at that time under the control of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. The relevant statement was attached to the case.
To confirm its version, the Russian side provided the satellite with images of the area from July 17, 2014, but the investigation concluded that Moscow was manipulating the dates.
Also, Russian images have “inexplicable differences” from images from other sources. This also takes into account the fact that the Russian Defense Ministry did not provide the originals, as they were not preserved allegedly due to heavy clouds.
In the end, the court noted that, despite a thorough investigation of the possible locations of the shelling, no specific evidence was found, and the available evidence is very contradictory to these starting points.
The prosecution emphasizes that the difficulty also lies in the fact that Ukraine declares the absence of such missiles in service, and Russia claims the opposite.
At the same time, during the meeting, prosecutor Theis Berger said that the bodies of members of the crew of the MH17 flight shot down over Donbas in 2014 found fragments of a rocket.
According to the media, forensic scientists, after analyzing them, found similarities with a newer missile from the Buk complex – 9M38M1, and not with a 9M38 missile. Thus, this refutes the findings of the Russian state-owned arms company Almaz-Antey, which previously claimed that Boeing was shot down by a 9M38 missile, the last of which was released in the USSR in 1986.